ROASTED MUSHROOM PIZZA
1 cup / 250 ml warm water
1 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp sugar
2 cups / 300 g all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
Chilli & garlic oil:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp freshly grated garlic
1 tsp fresh chilli, finely minced
250g Denny Brown Mushrooms, broken into large chunks
1 Tbsp olive oil
± 5 sprigs fresh thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
300g mozzarella, grated
± 8 anchovies, broken into bite size pieces
100g black olives, pitted and torn into pieces
100g feta cheese, crumbled
150g fresh bocconcini / buffalo mozzarella, torn into chunks
40g wild rocket
For the dough:
- In a bowl, combine the water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until the mixture foams on top, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, salt and olive oil. Bring it all together until a soft ball forms.
Remove the dough from the bowl and knead for a few minutes on a floured surface until smooth.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean dish cloth. Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes in a warm area.
- Once the dough has roughly doubled in size cut it in half. Roll out two large pizza bases on a lightly floured surface.
For the pizzas:
- Preheat oven to 220˚C.
- Place roughly torn mushrooms and thyme in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Roast mushrooms for 7 minutes and set aside.
- Increase your oven temperature to as high as it can go. If you have a pizza stone or a large cast iron skillet - preheat them.
Assemble pizzas by splitting the toppings between the two.
- Combine the ingredients for the chilli and garlic oil and spread onto the pizza base. Top with grated mozzarella.
- Add pieces of anchovies, torn up olives, crumbled feta, the roasted mushrooms and fresh bocconcini mozzarella.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for ±10 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Scatter with fresh rocket, slice and enjoy!
Home cooking pizza tip:
If you do not have a pizza stone or a cast iron pan, fry your pizza / slices in a dry non-stick frying pan after it has cooked in the oven. This will crisp up the base if necessary!
Makes 2 large pizzas
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20 minutes