PLANT-BASED BOEREWORS ROLLS
Spicy Tomato & Onion Relish:
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 large brown onions, sliced thinly
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 kg large ripe tomatoes
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, finely grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pack Denny Plant Based Sausages (6 sausages)
6 soft hotdog rolls
2 Tbsp butter, softened
For the relish:
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Slice crosses in the base of each tomato and remove the core from the top. Plunge the tomatoes into boiling water for 15 - 30 seconds. You will see the skin start to peel away from where you made the cross.
- Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon and plunge into cold water until cool enough to handle. Remove all the skins and then roughly dice the tomatoes.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the onions until soft and caramelised. Season well with salt, pepper and chilli flakes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, brown sugar and garlic. Cook on a simmer until the tomatoes have broken down, released their water and the sauce thickens. Keep warm.
For the plant based sausages:
- Over a medium-low braai, cook the Denny Plant Based Sausages for 4-5 minutes until lightly blistered, brown and cooked through.
For the buns:
Spread them with a little softened butter and toast on the braai until golden.
Dollop a generous amount of tomato & onion relish onto each bun and top with a plant based sausage. Serve nice and hot straight off the braai with a side of greens.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes