MUSHROOM & POTATO GRATIN
2 Tbsp olive oil
6 shallots, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
6 Tbsp butter
6 Tbsp flour
750ml cold milk, full cream
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tin Denny Condensed Mushroom Soup
2 kgs potatoes, *peeled & extremely thinly sliced
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
½ cup gruyère, havarti or similar , grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
*Preferably use a mandolin to cut the potatoes, keep them in cold water to prevent browning while slicing. Dry very well before use.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add the shallots and garlic. Season. Cook until very tender and fragrant. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan add the butter. When it begins to foam and sizzle add the flour. Whisk until the flour cooks lightly and starts to smell like biscuits. Slowly drizzle in cold milk, whisking constantly. Bring to a boil for a minute.
- Lower the heat, and add mustard powder and fresh thyme. Season. Stir in Denny Condensed Mushroom Soup. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- In a large baking dish spread a layer of the mushroom béchamel on the base. Top with the shallot and garlic mixture. Arrange the potatoes on top by stacking them vertically together. Top with more mushroom béchamel getting it in between all the potatoes. Top with grated cheese.
- Cover with tin foil and place the baking dish on a rimmed baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and bake for another 30 minutes until deeply golden brown and the potatoes are tender.
Serve alongside your favourite family feast.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 90 minutes
Serves 8-10 as a side