170g all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
120g cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
60ml sour cream
2 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, sliced
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
500g Denny Brown Mushrooms, sliced
100g cheddar / gruyère cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 egg, beaten
Fresh herbs, for serving
- In a food processor combine flour and salt. Add butter and pulse until wet sand like texture. Add parsley, sour cream & lemon juice. Blitz until a soft dough comes together.
- Press into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots, rosemary and garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until just tender. Season.
- Remove from the heat, and allow to cool completely. Cool in a sieve to drain off any liquid.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C.
- Once the filling is cool- on a lightly floured surface roll out the pastry into a 30cm large disc.
Place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Layer the mushrooms and grated cheese in the centre of the disc leaving a couple centimetres of border.
- Fold up the pastry around the filling leaving most of the filling exposed.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash and bake at 200˚C in the lower third of the oven for ±50 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
- Scatter with fresh herbs and serve with a side salad.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour