LAMB & MUSHROOM RAGU
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 large lamb shanks
1 large onion, sliced
2 stalks celery, sliced
4 cloves garlic, sliced
500g Denny brown mushrooms, cut into chunky wedges
185ml *good quality red wine
700ml tomato passata
250ml beef stock
3 bay leaves
3-5 thyme sprigs
3-5 rosemary sprigs
350g pappardelle pasta
Salt and pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese, to serve
*if you would like to keep this recipe alcohol free, replace the red wine with more beef stock
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Season lamb well and add to the pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until brown all over. Transfer to a tray and set aside.
- To the same pan add the sliced onion, celery and garlic. Cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and cook for a minute. Pour in the red wine, stock, tomato passata and stir. Add the herbs and bring to a simmer.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pot and nestle them into the liquid. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 3 hours or until lamb is falling off the bone.
- Transfer lamb to a baking tray and using 2 forks, coarsely shred. Discard bones. Remove whole herb stalks and discard the bay leaves. Return lamb to tomato and mushroom mixture. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water until just before al dente. Drain.
- Add pasta to the pot and finish the cooking of the pasta in the ragu. Toss to coat each strand of pasta very well in the sauce.
- Divide ragu among serving bowls and shower with a generous amount of Parmesan cheese.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3.5 hours