4 Denny Braai Mushrooms
4 slices sourdough bread
1 large tomato, cut into thin slices
½ red onion, sliced
4 slices cheddar cheese
4 slices mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp butter, softened
Salt and pepper to taste
- On a braai over medium-high heat cook the mushrooms whole until just softened, tender and juicy. Remove from braai once cooked and cut into slices. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Place the first two slices, buttered side down, on a braai grid.
- Begin building the broodjies with a layer of cheddar cheese then add the tomatoes on top.
- Season the tomatoes well with salt and pepper. Continue to build with the red onions followed by the mushrooms and finally the mozzarella cheese. Place the last slices of bread butter side up and close the grid.
- Over a braai on very low heat toast the braai broodjies on both sides until the cheese has melted and the bread is a deep, crunchy golden brown.
Serve immediately while still warm from the braai.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes