For the eggs:
Cook and bake - Butter flavour (or use olive oil or butter)
4 DENNY Griller mushrooms
salt and pepper
chives (for garnish)
For the bread:
butter (for oiling the potjie)
3 cups Nutty Wheat flour (or whole wheat flour)
1 cup oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 bottle buttermilk (2 cups)
1. First bake your bread: Spray the inside of your no. 10 flat-bottomed baking potjie with non stick cooking spray or generously smear with butter.
2. Put all the ingredients, except for the buttermilk, into a mixing bowl and mix well.
3. Now add the buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is combined. Remember, not only is it unnecessary to knead the dough, it is better not to. So as soon as everything is properly mixed you are good to go.
4. Flop the dough into the prepared potjie, dust the top of the bread with some extra flour (this is purely for cosmetic purposes) and use your favourite and sharpest pocket knife to cut a cross in the top of the bread. As with the flour dusting, this cross is only for cosmetic purposes and makes no real contribution to the taste of the end product. (But we all know good-looking food tastes better.)
5. Now close the lid and bake for about 45 minutes until done. You want some coals under the potjie and some coals on the lid. When any particular coal loses motivation, discard it and replace with a new one. There is no particular risk in baking the bread too slowly but if you rush it, it might burn so rather err on the side of caution.
6. After 45 minutes, remove the lid taking care not to spill too much ash onto the bread. A bit of ash is fine, again, for cosmetic purposes. Insert the tip of a knife into the bread and if it comes out clean, the bread is ready.
If the bread does not stick to the potjie at all and comes out whole, great. If it sticks to the bottom of the potjie a bit, don’t worry. Take a spatula, go in on the lines of the cross you cut earlier and take it out in quarters.
7. Now bake your eggs: Spray your potjie with non-stick cooking spray, or rub a bit of butter or oil at the bottom of the potjie, so the mushrooms do not stick to the bottom.
8. Carefully place your 4 mushrooms inside the potjie and place on the fire over hot coals. Now, carefully without getting too close to the fire, break open the 4 eggs inside the mushrooms.
9. Place the lid on top of the potjie and let the eggs cook inside the mushrooms for about 7 - 10 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs cooked.
10. Serve the egg mushrooms on top of your buttered soda bread and season the eggs with salt, pepper and chives