THAI MUSHROOM FISH CAKES
500g Denny brown mushrooms, diced
6 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
500g firm white fish, cooked (e.g hake or kingklip)
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup spring onions, sliced
1 thumb size piece of ginger, grated
zest and juice of 2 limes
2 large eggs
± ½ cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Extra virgin olive oil
Lime wedges, for serving
For the fresh salsa:
½ red onion, diced
1 – 2 chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 small cucumber, seeded and diced
large handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Juice of ½ lime
1. Cook diced mushrooms in a large pan on medium high heat in a drizzle of olive oil. Cook until golden brown and they have released all their moisture.
2. To a large mixing bowl add the cooked mushrooms, mashed potatoes, cooked & flaked fish, garlic, spring onion, ginger, lime zest and lime juice. Mix well. Add two large eggs and fresh coriander. Season well and mix.
3. Shape into 12 patties.
4. Season bread crumbs lightly with salt and coat each fishcake with breadcrumbs.
5. Heat a large non-stick pan and add a drizzle of olive oil. Fry the fishcakes on both sides until golden brown and crisp. Work in batches if necessary and keep the rest warm in the oven.
6. Combine all the fresh salsa ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
7. Serve the hot fishcakes with the red onion & cucumber salsa and lime wedges.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes 12 fishcakes