MUSHROOMS ON TOAST WITH POACHED EGG
4 very fresh XL Free-Range Eggs
4 slices sourdough bread
2 Tbsp olive oil
500g Denny Brown mushrooms, sliced
½ onion, finely diced
4 garlic cloves, grated
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
2 Tbsp butter
juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1Tbsp)
salt and pepper to taste
Chopped chives for serving
Softened butter for serving
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a gentle simmer. Crack an egg into a small tea cup or bowl.
2. Stir simmering water with a slotted spoon to make a gentle vortex. Tip egg out of cup and into center of vortex. Repeat with 3 more eggs so there are 4 eggs total in saucepan. Cook until whites are just set but yolk is still very soft. You can lift an egg out of the water with a slotted spoon and gently press on yolk to assess doneness. Total cook time will be about 2½ minutes from the time each egg hits the water. Transfer to a warm plate with slotted spoon.
3. Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown and all their water has evaporated.
4. Add the thyme, butter and lemon juice and stir well while the butter is melting to create a creamy sauce then take off the heat. Season to taste.
5. Toast sourdough until golden and then smear with some softened butter.
6. Spoon a generous amount of mushrooms onto each slice of toast. Top with a poached egg. Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle with chives.
Serves 4 - 6
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes