400g Denny Brown Mushrooms
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp butter
6 shallots, sliced
1 Tbsp thyme leaves
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp salt
100g Chevin style goat’s cheese
1 x sheet store bought puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
Baby leaf salad, for serving
1. Prep your puff pastry by cutting it into a large circle the size of your desired pan. Keep the pastry in the fridge until necessary.
2. Slice the mushrooms into thick 2cm slices. Fry them until golden brown in a little olive oil. Season & set aside to cool.
3. In the same pan add the butter and fry shallots until soft. Add thyme, brown sugar, garlic & salt. Cook until well caramelised. Set aside.
4. In an ovenproof frying pan spread the cooked mushroom slices all over the base. Cover them with the caramelised shallots. Scatter evenly with dollops of goat’s cheese. Cover everything with the precut circle of puff pastry. Tuck it into the sides. Cut a small slit in the middle for steam to escape. Brush with egg wash.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 220˚C or until deeply golden brown.
Allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. Flip onto serving plate. Garnish with fresh baby leaf salad and serve immediately.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes