For the dough:
10g instant yeast
1 tsp sugar
350ml warm water
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
250g large brown mushrooms
1 cup monkey gland sauce
2 cups fresh coleslaw
Fresh parsley for serving
1. In a small bowl combine the yeast, sugar, olive oil and warm water. Whisk together and set aside for 10 minutes for the yeast to activate.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer- whisk the salt through the flour.
3. Start with the paddle attachment and add the yeast mixture. Once the dough is combined switch to a dough hook and knead the dough until it feels shiny and smooth.
4. This can all be done by hand too.
5. Once the dough has been made place in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and allow to double in size. Knock the dough down and cut into 8 pieces. Roll into balls and place on a floured tray.
Prepare the braai.
6. Braai the roosterkoek until golden brown and cooked through. They should sound hollow when you tap them. While the roosterkoek and on the braai add the brown mushrooms. Brush them with olive oil and braai until tender.
7. Remove roosterkoek and mushrooms from the braai.
8. Slice mushrooms thinly and then mix with monkey gland sauce.
9. Cut roosterkoek in half. Place a little coleslaw onto each one and top with the mushrooms. Finish with some parsley and top with the other half of roosterkoek and enjoy.